Delight yourself in the Lord,
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
-- Psalm 37:4
This verse sounds too good to be true!
Could it be?
Would the Lord give us whatever we want?!
But God is not a heavenly Santa Claus who always delivers everything on our wish list.
Neither is He an indulgent grandparent who lives to spoil the grand kids by giving all we want.
Nor is God a weak parent who, annoyed by whining and tears, gives in to us to keep the peace.
So what exactly does this verse mean?
God will give you the desires of your heart, but the prerequisite is setting your heart to delight in His ways.
Are we able to do that ... to rejoice in the things that give God joy?
Is your heart broken by agonies in the world, by the very things that break God's heart?
Is regular scheduled time with the Lord nourishment for your soul?
Do you love being in His presence in times of worship, both in church, and in private?
As you delight yourself in the Lord in these and other ways,
God adjusts your heart to be in tune with His.
Then the longings that grow in your hearts ...
the seeds of which are sown during your time with your Heavenly Father ...
will be His desires for you!
Your godly hunger, He will surely satisfy!
*This framed verse was a gift from a very special friend a few years back It meant so much to me as I was going through a very difficult time with our only son growing up and then leaving to work on the opposite coast ... so many miles away. She had walked through much the same thing with her son, and what had encouraged and strengthened her, she passed along to me. My son has returned home after 4 years, but not before holding those precious, life giving, words close to my heart, and setting my delight in the Lord. Overtime, I came to realize that what I really wanted was what He desired for my son's life ... not what I desired or wanted! We all have hopes and dreams for our children, but often they are not what God has planned! And oh, how much better and more fulfilling are His plans!! Once I gave all those desires to the Lord, He completed a work in me, and not long after, brought our son home again! I am sad to say that my friend did not see that day ... did not see how God used what she had passed along, and how it grew me ... then again, I believe she did! This dear friend lost her battle with breast cancer over two years ago, and went home to be with the Lord. I miss her dearly, but she left me with the longings, the seeds, that adjusted my heart to be in tune with His! I've learned, and yes, I'm still learning, to seek His desires for me, and not my own!
Thank you so much for reading this far ... praying that the longings that grow in your hearts this week, will be His desires for you!!
I'm linking up with Katie again this week ... click below to join in, and to be encouraged!


I love your explanation of this verse, which is so often misconstrued but can be such a comfort. Your gift from your friend is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful explanation...and a lovely, softened picture. I'm praying that my desires are aligned with God's, too.
ReplyDelete